Thankful for the beauty that comes with a painful past...

Hey guys

Its been a while since I've written, this year has not only flown by but it has come with so much growth and has built so much resilience in me,

On this June 16th.. I've found myself stuck in it, wondering if we all understand what its about and in observing it, if we are committing to doing better.. being better.. as we stand on the ground that harbours the blood of those that gave their lives for our freedom.. so I stand and ask the question...

Perhaps my deepest feels of this day comes from the fact that we are free but not truly nor fully free, I'm taken back to the many memories in the past year that remind me to speak past the trembling voice, moments in the past year where I lost friendships because I refused to have Afrikaans be the medium on a course we were all on, though everyone else was Afrikaans speaking, I am not, and after a few attempts to remind everyone to not, hell broke loose, and I broke.

This day reminds me that language is still used to this day to keep certain people out to 'preserve' certain spaces, that we are so many years into freedom but asked if I ever feel oppression at times, the answer is still yes.

The question further says, what is to happen  if the oppressive thinking and actions are still harboured by our peers, assuming that we grew up in a better South Africa, past its worst, how can we still be separated by prejudice, stereotypes, dominance of one over the other, oppression and the worst of it, racism.

A lawyer asked me the other day, what the youth was doing, 'you guys' as he referred, he essentially was saying South Africa feels quiet through the business corridors, 'all these decisions being made today will need to be carried by you and fixed by you in the future, we will all be dead and you guys will be carrying our legacy'. Food for thought.

I close by saying, may I encourage the youth of today to dream bigger, push back the walls that seek to keep you restrained, don't allow anyone to place you or your talents in a box, fight like your life depends on it... know that every moment, you CAN make a difference.

Dream
Create
Become

Choose life, choose you.. and for everyday we choose each other, we create a bond unbreakable by any structure that seeks to cause disharmony. Only we can write the future of our beloved country. You are not alone, there are helpers along the way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soweto_uprising


Xx

Comments